The Indian Ocean Research Group (IORG)
The Council of Ministers, in its meeting held in Sanaá, Yemen on 5 August 2010, adopted that the Indian Ocean Research Group (IORG) be granted Observer Status to IORA and welcomed the interest and participation of IORG in the activities of the Association.
IORG has been involved in the following activities with IORA:
Participated in the following IORA events:
- International Symposium IORA 20th Anniversary on Learning from the Past and Charting the Future Yogyakarta, Indonesia - 14-15th September 2016;
- Indian Ocean Dialogue 2015 -Perth, Australia
- Meeting of Indian Ocean Rim Association Academic Group (IORAG) in Jakarta, August 2015: "Developing a Research Programme for IORAG"
- The Conference on the Political Economy of Indian Ocean Maritime Africa that was held in Nairobi, Kenya, in March 2014
- The Journal of the Indian Ocean Region (Taylor and Francis), which is the flagship journal of IORG Inc, is also affiliated with the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Academic Group.
Overall, IORG Inc seeks:
- To encourage research on geopolitical, economic, socio-cultural, environmental, scientific and technological issues relevant to the Indian Ocean Region
- To promote dialogue on the peaceful uses and ecologically sustainable development of maritime resources based on the principle of Common Heritage
- To foster interstate cooperation in the sustainable management of ocean resources and the peaceful resolution of maritime disputes
- To ensure a holistic discourse on the human and environmental security of the Region among its states, peoples and communities
- To contribute to an understanding of the causes as well as the effects of a wide range of non-traditional Regional security threats
- To facilitate information flow and discussion on international maritime regimes and the rights of states and local communities representing the Indian Ocean Region
- To initiate informed policy debate among governments, NGOs, business groups, academics and other stakeholders in the Indian Ocean Region on issues of common concern